Slow-roasted Almonds are a tasty snack, but add a little spice and they are that much better. Making your own means you can be sure they are slow-roasted (healthier!) and you control what goes into the recipe.
The recipe and instructions are below, but you can also watch Terry and Jackson make Slow-Roasted Spicy Almonds in the video below. With just three ingredients, this is pretty simple.
- 1-2 Cups raw, unsalted almonds (organic preferred)
- Refined organic coconut oil
- Chipotle or Cayenne chili powder
If you don't get "refined" coconut oil, your almonds might have a distinct coconut flavor!
- Slow roast the almonds (this is the healthiest way to prepare them)
- 1-2 cups of almonds will take approximately 60-65 minutes at 260º F to roast
- If your oven doesn't adjust to a number like 260, get it as close as you can.
- Let the almonds cool a bit and then put them into a mixing bowl
- Start with a small amount of coconut oil and stir it into the almonds until they are well coated
- This works best when the almonds are still oven-warm; otherwise you may need to melt the oil
- Dust the oil-coated almonds with the chili powder of your choice and mix well
- Add as much as you want to get the heat you prefer
- Let the almonds cool to room temperature so that the coconut oil thickens and bonds the powder to the almonds
- Store in a different bowl, covered
This is a healthy snack. There is no added sugar or salt and only a little added oil. Slow roasting avoids creating unhealthy compounds yet brings out a good flavor (smells good, too!).
Eat 'em! One at time or a handful, it is your call!