If you're trying to avoid dairy products, sour cream can be tough to give up. I won't claim that this sour cream is indistinguishable from real sour cream, it does add a similar taste and it's super easy to make.
This recipe is almost exactly the same as the one from Oh She Glows, with a few modifications.
I use organic Cashews which are pretty easy to find these days. Make sure they are not roasted or salted. I skip the salt.
Since we have a Ninja blender set, I make this in the single-serving cup.
- 1½ Cup Cashews + water to cover
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 t apple cider vinegar
- Put the cashews in a container (I use our Ninja single-serve container) and add water until covered. Soak for at least a half hour, but a few hours is better. Overnight is okay, too.
- Drain the cashews and add back at least a half cup of water (more if you soaked quickly).
- Add the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Blend until smooth, adding water as needed until it all blends easily. Be patient. If you add too much water, it will be runny, though it does thicken some once you put it in the refrigerator.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This mixture is an integral part of our Mashed Cauliflower, but it's also good on Mexican dishes (nachos, enchiladas, etc.).