While this takes a little effort to put together, it’s really quite simple: Veggies, broth and spices.
We discovered fresh-made Guacamole on the San Antonio Riverwalk. Since then we've been making it at home. This isn't as simple as some of our recipes (it has eight ingredients!), but it's still pretty easy to make.
We love some good tomato soup and it turns out to be easy to make. Four ingredients and minimal prep.
This is a great way to eat healthier with something that tastes great. Don’t let the word “squash” turn you away. These are pretty easy to make and did I mention tasty?
Once you get the slicing and chopping out of the way, the rest is easy. Our recipe is below, but you can watch Terry and Jackson make Guacamole in this video:
- 4 ripe organic Avocados
- 1 medium organic onion
- 1 medium organic tomato
- ½ bunch fresh, organic cilantro
- ½ a lime or 3-4 T organic lime juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prepare the avocados using Terry’s method (or your method, if you have one!)
- Dice the onion and tomato to the size (chunkiness) you desire
- Mince the cilantro
- Combine the avocado, onion, tomato and cilantro into a large bowl
- If you have a lime, cut it in half and insert and then twist a fork to juice it (or just add juice)
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice (and orange bits) into the bowl.
- Grind some salt and pepper over the ingredients
- Mash everything together until the avocado is mashed but still chunky
- Stir it to mix everything well, adding more salt or pepper if desired
- Serve immediately!
You’ll notice Terry using the OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill for both salt and pepper in the video.
Guacamole doesn’t keep well, so use up what you can. while it’s fresh. To store it, spoon the leftovers into a bowl and smooth out the guacamole as best you can. Take a sheet of plastic wrap and apply it to the surface of the guac, trying to avoid air bubbles. Then put the lid on the bowl and put it in the fridge.
Guacamole turns brown when exposed to air. The plastic wrap will help, but you may still have to scrape off the browned surface the next day. And you don’t have much more than a day or two before it will all be brown and pretty gross. But, it’s so good, you’ll want to eat it quickly anyway. Just don’t forget you have it!
Best with nacho chips or chips and salsa. For the full effect, also add Cashew sour cream!