While this takes a little effort to put together, it’s really quite simple: Veggies, broth and spices.
Spicy, Slow-Roasted Almonds
Slow-roasted Almonds are a tasty snack, but add a little spice and they are that much better. Making your own means you can be sure they are slow-roasted (healthier!) and you control what goes into the recipe.
We love some good tomato soup and it turns out to be easy to make. Four ingredients and minimal prep.
Red-ish Enchilada Sauce
It easy enough to buy enchilada sauce at the store, but this just tastes better. And it’s pretty easy to make. And, yeah, it’s not very red. But it isn’t a green sauce, so we call it “Red”.
The recipe and instructions are below, but you can also watch Terry and Jackson make Slow-Roasted Spicy Almonds in the video below. With just three ingredients, this is pretty simple.
- 1-2 Cups raw, unsalted almonds (organic preferred)
- Refined organic coconut oil
- Chipotle or Cayenne chili powder
If you don’t get “refined” coconut oil, your almonds might have a distinct coconut flavor!
- Slow roast the almonds (this is the healthiest way to prepare them)
- 1-2 cups of almonds will take approximately 60-65 minutes at 260º F to roast
- If your oven doesn’t adjust to a number like 260, get it as close as you can.
- Let the almonds cool a bit and then put them into a mixing bowl
- Start with a small amount of coconut oil and stir it into the almonds until they are well coated
- This works best when the almonds are still oven-warm; otherwise you may need to melt the oil
- Dust the oil-coated almonds with the chili powder of your choice and mix well
- Add as much as you want to get the heat you prefer
- Let the almonds cool to room temperature so that the coconut oil thickens and bonds the powder to the almonds
- Store in a different bowl, covered
This is a healthy snack. There is no added sugar or salt and only a little added oil. Slow roasting avoids creating unhealthy compounds yet brings out a good flavor (smells good, too!).
Eat ’em! One at time or a handful, it is your call!